anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Insignia

Insignia - I’ll be honest. I did not expect much out of Insignia. It sounded interesting enough to attempt, but I really didn’t go in with any expectations. Books about gamers and hackers typically aren’t my thing, but Insignia was different from others I’ve read.To me, the world-building in a dystopian society has to be perfected, or it doesn’t work. It is a crucial element, and Insignia delivered on that front. This futuristic world is woven intricately, and contains all of the elements needed to make a scenario such as this believable.These characters were fantastic. I fell in love with all of them. They’re so well written and there was never a dull moment from them. I found myself laughing numerous times. So much fun. The way they interact with one another feels so authentic, reading it makes you feel like you’re at home. Despite the fact that the story takes place in the future where the world has changed drastically, I still felt comfortable while reading it. I think the characters made this possible. I think it’s worth pointing out that this doesn’t read like a middle grade/early YA, despite the fact that the characters are just 14. They’re highly intelligent beings, but they still keep a youthful edge.My only complaint would be the brief moments of info-dump. It isn’t excessive but it was noticeable enough to slow down the reading momentum for me. Yet, all of the information is important, and the book wouldn’t be the same without it.I hope Insignia gets the recognition it deserves. I fear the lack of in-your-face romance will prevent a lot of people from picking it up, but I hope I’m wrong about that. This was a great start to a promising series, and I am eager to see what’s next for Tom and his friends.