anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Slide

Slide - Jill Hathaway Slide has such a fascinating premise, I couldn’t wait to read it. A girl who “slides” into the minds of others and sees through their eyes, with no way of knowing what she is going to see, or how to stop it? To slide behind the eyes of a killer standing over a body, with the murder weapon in hand? So many possibilities. I think I expected too much out of this one, and unfortunately, a lot of it fell flat for me.I think the high school setting was well done. The things the characters did and said felt very authentic, and seemed to mesh perfectly with the mystery and paranormal aspects of the story.I liked Vee well enough. I felt she was a genuine character and there were times when I really felt for her. But aside from her, none of the other characters stood out to me. My biggest issue admittedly lies in the romance, which was instant and I never felt it. I didn’t find Zane appealing, and I didn’t understand how Vee did either. His character wasn’t fleshed out enough for me to even feel like he was real.While I still love the idea behind Slide, the mystery surrounding the murder wasn’t very mysterious. I found it a bit predictable, and not in a good way, because I wasn’t a fan of the ending. If not for the ending, this may have been a four star book. But it felt contrived, and certain characters and situations seemed to be there for shock value, but I wasn’t shocked.Despite all of this, Slide was still enjoyable. I will most likely be reading the sequel, because it sounds like it has a lot of promise.