anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1)

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden Series #1) - I’m so over vampires. I unofficially swore them off, and haven’t picked up a single book featuring the world’s favorite immortal creatures in quite some time. So my first thought was “Why, Kagawa?! Whyyyy????” because I knew with her writing abilities and superb world-building , there was no way I was going to pass up her next series, despite it being about something I had come to loathe. I really didn’t like the idea of reading about more vampires. But I went with it, having faith that I wouldn’t be let down, although a bit of the apprehension lingered.My faith in Kagawa did not fail me. While I was reading The Immortal Rules, I completely forgot about how much I had come to dislike vampires. I’m sure this is due in large part to how raw this story is. The vampires? Complete lack of humanity, in most cases. These are the vampires I always loved. The kind characters needed to be afraid of, because they were interested in draining you, not loving you. I’ve missed this variety!The character development is great. Allie is fierce and is perfectly capable of taking care of herself, and occasionally those around her. There are quite a few characters in this book, and I don’t think there is much I can say about any of them without it being a bit spoilery, but I will say they are all great characters—even the villains.The Immortal Rules doesn’t have a love triangle, and I’m hoping it doesn’t turn into one. I am to the point that I cannot (and don’t even try) to tolerate them. Love triangles are a deal-breaker for me. I’d love to see The Immortal Rules continue the way it is—all plot and adventure and rawness, with a subtle romance underneath.Either The Immortal Rules is geared toward a slightly older audience, or Kagawa has really come into her own with her writing. (Not that there was anything wrong with the Iron Fey) This book pushes the limits in nearly every aspect, from the language to the length of the book. We’ve seen cop-outs, right? Where the first book of a series is about 300 pages of nearly nothing, and yet the series becomes a best seller based simply on potential? Not the case with The Immortal Rules. This is what the first of a series should be—packed full of action that leaves us on the edge of our seats. Characters that are tough and determined—because in a world like this one, they need to be. I could not get enough of this book, and I am definitely anticipating the sequel. I’ve got a long wait ahead of me.