anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee If you’re turned off by gushing reviews, you should stop here because I set the gush factor to HIGH on this one.I’ll be the first to admit that I am often apprehensive about self-published books. The majority of those that I have read needed a lot of work. (I’m sorry if that makes me sound like a snob, but you never know until you dive in head first.) To be honest, I had seen the book around and hadn’t paid it a lot of attention, and without the extra push from a reviewer whose opinion I trust (Thanks Wendy) , I probably never would have purchased it. Angelfall is a prime example of why indie should never go ignored. This is one of those gems that I wouldn’t want to overlook, and quite frankly, is it marginally better than the majority of the heavily promoted traditionally published books that I’ve read recently.The first thing I noticed was the writing. It’s imaginative and at times gruesome, and I absolutely loved it. It’s perfectly polished, and brilliantly paced. I think this is one of the aspects of independent publishing that absolutely works in the author’s favor. She can push these limits without someone standing over her shoulder telling her it’s too dark, and in this case, it works so well for the story. There wasn’t a moment of boredom for me, or even a scene that slowed down the momentum of the story. Penryn is a kick-ass heroine, and I mean that literally. There’s something great about a female character that can take care of herself. She’s witty and full of determination. She never loses sight of what is important. At some point in the book a vaguely recall wanting to complain about something she had done or said, but I didn’t make note of it, and apparently my love for the story outweighed it because I can’t remember. Ha. (I’m not a big fan of her name but that has nothing to do with her characterization) I loved Raffe as well. He’s dark and amusing, all the while doing his best to hold onto his convictions. He never does anything to lead Penryn into thinking something she shouldn’t, despite his inner turmoil. I admired that. The way their relationship was handled is perfect. Having bought the book for only 99 cents, I feel like I ripped the author off because it is worthy of much more than that. I did not want to put this book down. I was literally on the edge of my seat, anxious to find out what happens next, but I also didn’t want it to end. I hope this author’s sales go through the roof. I hope this book goes viral. Susan Ee and Angelfall deserve it, and I cannot wait until the sequel is released.