anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Awkward

Awkward - Marni Bates I was extremely surprised by Awkward. It sounded cute, but I will admit the cover made me a bit wary to read it. It looked like this story would be geared toward younger teens, more toward the middle grade age, and I was afraid I wouldn’t end up liking it for this reason. Lucky for me, that isn’t the case.Awkward is the first book I’ve read in quite some time where I completely let go, and just enjoyed the story. I didn’t over-think things like I normally do, and it was heaps of fun. I read it in one sitting, having nothing to complain about.Awkward had that slow building romance, the kind with stolen glances and subtle flirting. Seeing as how I am not a fan of insta-love, I loved that about Awkward. I also liked that there was more to the story than just the romance. (Which, might I add, is of the first love variety, not the OMG WE’RE SOULMATES variety. A plus.) There is a plot that drives the story, and Mackenzie’s relationship with Logan is just an added bonuses. The friendships were handled well, and I loved the loyalty they had to each other.The characters are relatable. There is the typical high school hierarchy, but I think Awkward does a good job of using this to battle stereo-types. Mackenzie is intelligent and charming, and has her priorities straight. But all in all, she is invisible, and I think many of us can relate to that. Unless you were part of the popular crowds, but let’s face it, that is a much smaller percentage than those of us who didn’t draw a lot of attention. But Mackenzie is different. She actually likes the invisibility. She doesn’t want to be noticed, and that is definitely something I could relate to. Overall, Awkward was such a fun read, it is probably something I would reread when I want to relax and read something that I know will make me smile. I’d definitely recommend it to those who love the “aww” inspiring contemporary novels.