anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

XVI

XVI - Julia Karr I'm actually surprised that XVI hasn't gotten better reviews. Not that I've seen negative reviews of it, but none of them are particularly gushing either. I thought it to be much better than some other raved about books out there, but I'll keep that to myself.So. XVI felt like an intensified version of our society. Females are looked at much the same way, but they're completely stripped of their rights. Religion has become pretty much obsolete. This is something that I found interesting about XVI. I won't go into my religious beliefs. I don't have any. That's kind of the point. I've never actually sat down and considered what our society would be like if few believed in any gods. What would a world of atheists be like? Do I believe the world would be as it is in XVI? Not at all. But it definitely made me think.While I'm surprised there aren't many raving reviews, I'm afraid this one won't be raving either. I liked XVI. I didn't love XVI. There were certain things that annoyed me about the story. Mainly the naivety of damn near every character. Nina kept walking into danger, she kept things from people so they were completely in the dark, and her best friend was practically brain dead, absolutely incapable of thinking for herself or listening to reason. Nina was also back and forth back and forth back and forth. She doesn't want to have sex, she doesn't want to have sex, she may want to have sex, she does NOT want to have sex. It just got old after a little while.The other thing is the lingo. Non-cons? I don't even understand what the hell that stands for. I don't recall it ever actually stating what that meant, and if it did, please, PLEASE correct me.XVI was a good story. I did enjoy it. Never once did I get bored and consider not finishing, and I am anticipating the sequel.