anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton Darkness Becomes Her took me by surprise. I read it because a few people recommended it, but I'll be honest--I hadn't even read the synopsis. Right? I know. I just delved right in without a thing to go on!I was immediately drawn to the heroine, Ari. To put it plainly, she kicks ass. With a foul mouth and a no bullshit attitude, I connected with her from the first page.It's difficult to talk about the story, and what I enjoyed about it, without giving too much away. I loved the mix of gods and paranormal creatures. It felt like a genuinely fresh concept, though the individual elements were far from original. Keaton managed to pull these things together in a way that felt original. Unique. It was fantastic.About two thirds through the book, there was a brief moment when I had a fleeing feeling. Ari does something that felt so out of character, I was nearly turned off to the point of DNFing it. Was it really that extreme? Probably not. I'm not sure why it resonated with me in such a negative way, but it did. I pushed forward, though, determined to find out what happens with her story. Luckily, she snapped out of it quickly, realized her own stupidity, and turned back into the girl I loved. I'm glad she snapped back, but I'm left wondering what the hell the scene did the for the story. I'm still baffled by it. I don't think it was necessary to move the story along at all, and it pulled us away from her character. Even if it was brief, I just wish it wasn't there.I think Keaton did a great job painting the picture. It had a gothic feeling that I fell in love with. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on what comes next in this series! I'd recommend it to YA paranormal junkies everywhere.*Small note. There's a lot of cursing. If you're turned of by excessive foul language, be prepared, because Darkness Becomes Her is littered with it!