anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Bumped

Bumped - Megan McCafferty I read the last sentence of Bumped and continued reading into the Acknowledgements before I realized that that was actually the ending. What the hell? *looks around* *crickets* WHAT THE HELL?! Did it really just end that way?! Did I get a bunk galley copy that cutoff before the end was truly there? No. It totally ended that way.I loved the world McCafferty built. While I'd never want to imagine a world in which teenagers were the only ones able to have children, there seem to be enough teen pregnancies in today's society for the concept of Bumped to not be too far off. We're fascinated with it, even if we believe we aren't. We must be fascinated with it, because who else is watching Teen Mom? We claim to want to fix this problem, but in reality, we're encouraging it.The dialogue and futuristic slang was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the Jessica Darling series, and I had hoped McCafferty would bring that witty edge to Bumped as well. She definitely didn't disappoint.Bumped is told from alternating perspectives which is something I absolutely love if done correctly. I do think McCafferty pulled it off, and I definitely felt the difference between the two girls, as well as their similarities. But I wish there had been more development for each of them, because at times I felt like the story was moving too quickly for us to get a real feel for each of them. We know their basic characteristics and beliefs, but not much beyond that. I have so many unanswered questions, and I'm sure they'll be answered in the following installments, but it doesn't erase the frustration I'm left with at this point. What caused the virus? How does Jondoe really feel? Why do they have to actually have sex? Why is artificial insemination no longer a possibility? Where the hell are the parents who still actually care about their children in a way that isn't encouraging premature sex and pregnancies, or in stark contrast, forced marriages. Where's the middle ground? Basically it all boils down to the fact that I want more. I enjoyed the writing because (duh) it's Megan McCafferty. I'm pretty much dying to know what happens next at this point, and I need to muster up some patience--pronto.