anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Just Listen

Just Listen - Sarah Dessen Sarah Dessen is pretty much a goddess when it comes to contemporary YA. She nails family dynamics, and I’ve yet to be disappointed in any of her characters. They’re all so believable, it’s hard to imagine they’re fictional.Just Listen reminded me a lot of This Lullaby (which is my favorite Dessen book, and remains as such), and there were even a couple of key characters who made a small appearance in Just Listen. I assumed I would like the book from the beginning just because of the strong role music plays, and I was right. I loved Owen and his strong feelings about music. He reminded me a bit of myself, but a lot more of some people in my life.The only negative thing I can really say is that I think Just Listen may have tackled too many tough subjects. I’m not saying Dessen doesn’t do a wonderful job with these subjects—she does. But there are two serious issues in this novel and I think they kind of cancelled each other out. I didn’t quite feel the emotional punch that I think I would have if only one of them had been present. Regardless—I still enjoyed Just Listen and would definitely recommend it.