anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Gone, Gone, Gone

Gone, Gone, Gone - Hannah Moskowitz When I read Invincible Summer, I didn't know what to expect, and I fell in love with the voice. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I was afraid I wouldn't feel the same about Gone, Gone, Gone. Honestly, I liked it more than Invincible Summer. Though I loved that'n too.I absolutely love her writing style, and her voice. I honestly don't think it would be possible to read something she has written, and not recognize her as the writer. Her style is minimalistic (in a good way) and there are no wasted words. Every. Single. Word. Matters. Every word is jam packed with emotion.Gone, Gone, Gone is told from alternating point of views, from two very different, very fucked up characters. They have serious, deep rooted issues, and they are so well developed, so well structured, that the writer in me kept thinking "HOW THE HELL?!" I don't think I could choose between Craig and Lio, if I had to. They're so different, and intriguing, and messed up. I just wanted to give them both a big hug.The story is set in the aftermath of 9/11, and during the DC Sniper shootings. (Beltway Sniper, whatever you'd like to call it.) I remember both, vividly. I was crushed on 9/11 along with the rest of the country. But all I could think during the sniper shootings was that I couldn't imagine how it would feel, living in fear of going outside. Of walking in a zigzag pattern to your damn CAR. Obviously it was sad to see happening, but you can never really understand something like that unless you're there. Through Gone, Gone, Gone, I feel like I've gotten as close to feeling that as I ever will. There isn't a lot of action. Well. Let me rephrase that. There isn't a lot of action that the reader actually witnesses. I do think this will be a problem for some readers, for those who want to be in the front seat. This wasn't an issue for me. I love a good character driven novel, and Gone, Gone, Gone is a damn good character driven novel.The fact that I got to read this a year before it is released made me so damn happy, but now...I'm kind of sad about the fact that I can't (yet) rave about it on the blog.If I ever meet Hannah Moskowitz, I will probably go fangirl. She should be prepared for that.