anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Under The Never Sky: Under the Never Sky : Book 01

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi Loved it. So much. Review to come. It has become so rare that I read a book and have absolutely nothing to complain about when I’m finished. Nothing. Nada. Under the Never Sky is one of those rare occurrences, and it is going to be a long, grueling wait for the sequel.This is where I struggle with books I love. I can always find the words—a lot of words—for books I do not like, but it’s so hard to explain why I loved something.This book is everything that dystopian should be. World-building that is outstanding and absolutely engrossing. Strong characters you can empathize with, despite having little--if anything--in common. Obstacles that are believable, vivid, and seemingly impossible to overcome. I fell in love with these characters. Aria and Perry are so different, and I loved watching them as they grew, not only closer to one another, but as individuals. I loved reading how they dealt with the things that are thrown at them. Their loyalty to their people never wavered, and while they grew as people, they didn’t transform to the point that they weren’t recognizable. They remained true to who they were, even when their romance came into play. The secondary characters were nearly as endearing, and I can’t wait to see more of them.I cannot stress how much I loved the lack of insta-love. Enough said.There was not a single moment I wanted to put this book down. Not a single moment of boredom. It was brilliantly paced, and ended smoothly while leaving enough open that you anticipate what comes next. I cannot wait to see what’s in store for this series, and I’m really, really hoping it doesn’t involve a love triangle.Both Enclave and Divergent are among some of my favorite books I’ve read in quite some time, and Under the Never Sky is right there with them. I can’t say it’s better than those (I also can’t say it isn’t) but I will say as a 2012 debut, this book is going to be difficult to beat.