anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Starters

Starters - Lissa Price 2.5 StarsStarters started out strong, and while it held my interest and kept me entertained, it wasn’t quite what I thought it would be.Callie goes to Prime Destinations because she needs to create a better life for her brother and her friend, which was admirable. They aren’t having the easiest time, and she steps forward to change things, regardless of the sacrifice. However, the moment she meets Blake, her character fell apart for me. Her loyalty to Michael vanishes, and she’s suddenly spending her time doing pointless things that are in no way helping her toward a better life for Tyler. Furthermore, given her circumstances for the past year, I couldn’t imagine how she was so quick to trust Blake. She didn’t trust anyone, but she trusts him without even thinking that maybe she shouldn’t. I didn’t see any development to their relationship, and I simply wasn’t feeling it.The villain was by far my favorite character, and if I decide to read the sequel, this character will be the reason. I am interested in finding out what makes him tick.I would have liked to have seen some of the terminology better explained. There are the Starters and the Enders, but even after finishing the story, I couldn’t tell you the difference between a Starter and the Friendlies. I found it hard to believe that just a year after the Spore War killed off much of the population, there were already such distinct social lines and stereotypes. (I found a lot of things hard to believe, but for the sake of omitting spoilers, I won't go into them.)There were some twists that I honestly didn’t see coming, and they kept me glued to the pages until the end. The plot is fast-driven and should be seen as the selling point of this novel, I believe. I enjoyed that aspect, and had I not had such a lack of interest in the characters and the way Callie handles things, I think I could have liked Starters.Overall I think Starters had a lot of potential and may entertain readers who are drawn to the quick pace, consistent action, and fascinating premise. Give it a shot! For me personally, characterization and details are just as important, and Starters failed to deliver.