anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Tomorrow Land

Tomorrow Land - Mari Mancusi I have severely mixed feelings on Tomorrow Land. I really enjoyed reading it, but when I actually thought about the book, I found a lot of problems that I just couldn’t ignore well enough to say I loved the story.I thought the way the book is written was distracting. It jumps back and forth between a four year gap throughout the entire book. As we neared the end, I no longer cared about what happened four years ago because I felt at that point we should have already known. It was frustrating, and I gave up caring why Peyton chose to go into the shelter, rather than go meet Chase. At first I liked the characters. Chase seemed to have developed a shell over the years, as anyone who had endured four years in a post-apocalyptic world would, and Peyton was kick ass. She rarely shows that kick-ass-ness though, and she really didn’t have any other qualities that stood out to me. Chase’s shell quickly dissolves. He forgave Peyton a little too quickly, and didn’t really even demand an explanation. His obsessive feelings for her (you could call it love, but I won’t) was ridiculous, and I repressed the urge to roll my eyes every single time he referred to her as a “goddess”. He quickly turns into the obsessive fifteen year old boy he was before the apocalypse, and he was, in my opinion, incredibly immature. Immature for a nineteen year old, and even more immature for a nineteen year old who had survived four years in a world full of zombies. It may sound like I hated this, but I really didn’t. There were zombies, after all. On the surface it was actually a pleasant read, and I enjoyed myself. But if there had been more focus on the situation in the world and less focus on the undying love between Chase and Peyton, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.Favorite lines: “On the plus side, maybe we’ll get zombies. Usually when this kind of thing happens in the movies, they get zombies.” “Oh yeah, zombies would be stellar,” Chris agreed.