anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Love & Leftovers

Love & Leftovers - I’m a sucker for novels in verse because they reach me emotionally in a way that other books rarely do. With that in mind, I was fairly certain I would enjoy Love & Leftovers, but I actually adored the book! It was better than I imagined it would be.The thing I loved most about this story is the raw realness it has. Marcie is a flawed character, and she makes some very poor decisions that made me think she deserved what happened in the aftermath. And she did deserve it, but at the same time I couldn’t help but start to feel sorry for her. I felt sorry for everyone, actually, because each character is struggling with their own version of lonely, and loneliness makes for a miserable existence. It also makes you do things without thinking about the consequences.I was originally going to give this book four stars, because it deals with so many things, one of which being cheating, and that is something that always turns me off in a book. However, the way the book made me feel surpassed all of that. I read the book in one sitting, my emotions on a roller coaster. When I finally went to bed I thought about reading it again.Furthermore, Marcie’s actions weren’t just glossed over by a happy little romance. It is definitely romantic, but before Marcie can experience that, she has to deal with the consequences of her actions. This is rare, a YA character really dealing with consequences, and I loved that about Love & Leftovers. I think this is a great book for YA romance lovers, especially (but not exclusively) if you’re a fan of novels in verse.