anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Thumped

Thumped - Megan McCafferty After reading McCafferty’s Jessica Darling series, I was a huge fan of hers. So it came as a big surprise to me that I hadn’t enjoyed Bumped as much as I had hoped and thought I would.Bumped and Thumped are satires, and I think one has to really bare that in mind in order to enjoy it. There is a very clear message here, and the Bumped series is an entertaining way to send that message. They are both fun to read. But if you’re looking for an engaging, intricate plot (as dystopians are expected to be), and fleshed out characters, this just isn’t that series.I enjoyed Thumped more than Bumped, and I think that’s because I knew what to expect this time around. I don’t think these books are meant to seem particularly deep. It’s supposed to be fun, and yet the driving force behind them is clear. They carry very strong messages, messages that I think are important and need to be yelled from rooftops all over the country, and I think what makes this series special is that they are right there. You don’t have to dig too deep to see what these books are saying. It’s a slap in the face, and it’s a slap in the face that this country—with the obsession with Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant—needs.Messages and general enjoyment aside, I wanted more out of the series. There just wasn’t enough of anything. I would have loved to see more of this world, more of Goodside, as well as all of the different types of relationships that take place in this story. I feel like it had a lot of potential that didn’t come to fruition. However, I did enjoy myself and I think what these books are saying just should not go ignored.