anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse Series)

Hunger - Jackie Kessler Hunger was not was I expected. Not in the least. In some ways this is a good thing, in other ways, not so much.Death was a fascinating character, but unfortunately, he's the only secondary character who really stood out to me. Lisa was a great protagonist, if only because she was so flawed you couldn't help but feel for her. When I first realized that a girl with anorexia was going to be Famine, I found it ironic. (As did some characters in the story) But now that I've finished reading it, it makes perfect sense, and I loved the way Kessler intertwined mythology and real life, serious issues. Lisabeth didn't just fall into the role of famine out of a case of back luck, nor was she born into the role. Her actions and her choices in life lead her to that position, and I think that's something that sets Hunger apart from your typical paranormal/fantasy.My only real issue with the story is the lack of action. Even if I hadn't gone in expecting action out of the apocalypse (I admit, I totally did) there still wasn't much action for a story about anything. It is beautifully written, and well paced, so perhaps the short length is what created this problem for me. I don't really understand the apocalypse aspect of the story, either. I assume the world must be in the middle of the apocalypse, but Lisabeth doesn't seem to address this issue in any way, whatsoever. Which I guess is understandable in a way, considering the real issue in Hunger was her struggle with an eating disorder, which I think Kessler captured perfectly. Still, I can't help but feel as though the story was lacking something, plot wise.