anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Wildwing

Wildwing - Emily Whitman I’m not typically a fan of historical fiction. In my experience, the language used often feels forced. I find it distracting and it rarely manages to hold my attention in the long run. Occasionally there are exceptions to this, and Wildwing was one of those occasions. I will admit, I went in with the “Oyy, historical fiction :/” mindset, but within a few chapters, I had completely forgotten why I was so apprehensive. Wildwing takes place in two different time periods, neither of which is now. There are distinct differences in the two, but Whitman manages to create them both without making the differences so obvious that they are distracting. I think Addy is a great protagonist. She was tough, while still holding onto the innocence that comes with her age. The other characters, particularly those Addy gets close to, were also fascinating and well written.Wildwing is a romance. I almost have to keep reminding myself of this, because while the love story was absolutely adorable, for me personally, it didn’t take center stage. Addy’s personal growth plays a major role in the story, and it was definitely something I enjoyed seeing.With her seamless writing, Whitman has created a place in history that has a modern edge to it, making it much more enjoyable for me to read. If you’re someone who has a difficult time getting into historical fiction, I would recommend giving Wildwing a shot.