anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Winter Town

Winter Town - Stephen Emond Garden State meets Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist? I honestly expected this to just be a gimmick to sell the book, and maybe it was, but it’s also true. Throw in some Scott Pilgrim while you’re at it. And while Evan lacked the awkwardness that is Michael Cera, I’d be all for him playing the character.I love these movies. Nick and Norah, Juno, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Youth in Revolt, Easy A—young witty characters and a “cuteness” that makes me smile. Maybe I’m still seventeen at heart. Either way, Wintertown reminded me of these types and I found it to be absolutely adorable. Both Evan and Lucy are interesting characters, and I loved seeing their relationship grow and change. I did expect the reasoning behind the sudden change in Lucy to be a bit more dramatic, but it didn’t really take away from the story. Their families are very believable in entirely different ways, and many of the secondary characters feel like someone you may have encountered at some point in life.There are little drawings and comic strips throughout the book, which added an extra layer of appeal to the story. I think it would have been good either way, but I personally wouldn’t want to see the story without them.Wintertown is a quick and fun read. I can’t think of anything to complain about. I’d love to see it in movie form.