anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny Dipping - Amanda Howells Judging by the cover (I know, I know, never judge books by their cover. The fact is, I'm guilty of that--daily.) I had a feeling this would be a light hearted, fun read. That's why you should never judge books by their cover, sometimes they fool you.Though it started a bit slow for me, I found it to be very well written, and once it picked up pace, I was hooked.Mia struggles throughout most of the book with finding herself, and becoming comfortable with her body. Being around her cousins with their "perfect" appearances makes her feel bad about herself, but she tries desperately to push it aside and fit it. It isn't until Simon comes into the picture that we finally see her starting to accept herself for who she is.Simon is a smooth-talking, easy-going artistic type, who becomes the only light Mia gets out of her summer. We follow them through their bonding, which goes from friendship to love before Mia even realizes what's happening. One thing I loved about this book is, it didn't follow the cliches. There was no love-at-first-sight moment, and they weren't complete opposites who couldn't stand being around each other until they realized they loved each other. We saw the friendship there before it became something more, which is rare in books these days.It seems as though the entire cast are battling their own personal demons, some worse than others. At times, the other characters grated on my nerves, but as the novel progresses, we see them changing as well.And then came the ending, which I was NOT a fan of. I kept thinking throughout the book, "Watch this happen......", but I dismissed those thoughts because the cover looked so....lovely. See what I mean? Never judge a book by it's cover.Ultimately, this was a very well-written, beautiful love story, that ended in tragedy. But in this tragedy, we see the whole purpose of the book. It serves as a reminder to savor every single moment of your life, because you will never get it back. And you never know how many more moments you'll have--that's the thing, we just never know.