anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure

Zan-Gah:  A Prehistoric Adventure - Allan Richard Shickman To see complete review, visit http://anotherbookjunkie.blogspot.comZan-Gah is a powerful story about a boy who goes on a treacherous journey in search of his twin, who has been missing for some time. Along this journey, Zan-Gah is forced to fight for survival on many different occasions. There is action from beginning to end, though for a middle grade novel, I would have liked to see more dialogue. But given his circumstances, it wasn't really a possibility.When Zan-Gah finally reaches his destination, I was saddened by the story. Dael is clearly affected deeply by what he has gone through, and my heart ached for him. This was the only time in the entire story that I felt any emotion, which is most likely a problem that lies within me, not the book. I'm curious to see how the next novel plays out, because I'm sure it will be centered around Dael and the issues he's suffering now. I read a lot of this aloud to my 2 and 4 year olds, and they seemed to really enjoy it. A lot of times, I'll read whatever book I'm reading at the time to them, and they look at me like "Where are the pictures?" With Zan-Gah, they genuinely listened. I think this would be a fantastic novel for a parent to read and discuss with their children. Or a middle grade teacher to read and discuss with their students. The story is powerful, and engaging.I'm unsure of whether or not I'll be reading the sequel. I'd like to see where Dael's story goes, but I think this is better suited for my little brother than myself. It's difficult for me to read and review middle grade novels with the targeted audience in mind. Which is why I generally don't accept MG. I don't regret accepting this one though, and I think people of all ages could appreciate it in some way!