anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) - Sarah Rees Brennan I really wanted to love Unspoken, but unfortunately, I didn’t. I didn’t hate it either. There were elements that I loved and some that really disappointed me.First off, the blurb leads you to believe this is a romance. It’s not. If it’s supposed to be, the romantic elements were lost on me. I kept waiting for it to take that turn, but I didn’t see it. I’d call it a “mystery” more than anything. To say that Kami is in love with the boy in her head is either an exaggeration, or unconvincing writing. So I’d say don’t expect to be blown away by a romance, because I don’t think there’s really one there.The beginning of Unspoken was rough for me. I almost gave up on it a few times. It jumped right into everything, and while that will be appreciated by some, it was annoying to me. I had no idea who these characters were yet, and I felt that everything was moving too quickly. However, about a third into the book, I couldn’t put it down. It had me absolutely engrossed, despite the fact that it was still moving too quickly and yet I had no idea what was really going on.I loved the characters. They’re all well written with strong personalities. The dialogue was very entertaining. Kami and her best friend Angela made me laugh numerous times. The dialogue is enough for me to recommend it. That’s definitely something I *loved* about Unspoken. But (of course there’s a but) the way Kami and the boy in her head dealt with their relationship didn’t seem consistent enough to be believable. Their actions made absolutely no sense to me.I hated the ending.Despite not getting the romance we’re pretty much promised, the plot is still entertaining in its self. The Lynburns are a fascinating family and I look forward to seeing more of them. Perhaps if I hadn’t expected a romance, I wouldn’t have been quite so let down by it. As mixed as my feelings are about Unspoken, I would still recommend it. The story is worth reading and the characters are a lot of fun. I’ll be looking forward to the sequel with fingers crossed in hope that it fixes that ending.