anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The Lost Girl - Sangu Mandanna 4.5 StarsI’m not sure if I can express my thoughts on The Lost Girl well enough to do it justice, but I’m going to give a shot.Books mean something different to everyone. We all absorb stories differently, and I’m absolutely certain The Lost Girl will be no exception. There is a forbidden romance, potential enemies around every corner, a lot of angst, and a touch of dystopia. To some, I think it will be seen as nothing more than that. That in its self would have made it enjoyable for me.I’ve lost a lot of people in my life to various illnesses, accidents, etc. I think this is why I connected so well with the story, and on a level deeper than casual enjoyment. The Lost Girl explores death and dealing with grief in a way that I’ve never come across. I had a hard time blaming anyone for their actions in this story, and that’s saying a lot because a few of them do and say some pretty awful things. But how can you really blame any of them? (Okay, I didn’t have a very hard time hating the Weavers) Some are dealing with the loss of Amarra, some are dealing with the loss of Eva, but they’re all hurting and Eva’s existence doesn’t really make any of that any easier. Not on Eva, and not on the people who loved Amarra.The thing I loved most about The Lost Girl was Mandanna’s ability to balance all of the elements so well. The death is an important factor, but it isn’t romanticized and it doesn’t drag the story down. The characterization is fantastic. The concept—Weavers creating Echos—is fascinating. Would I recommend The Lost Girl? Absolutely.