anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Masque of the Red Death - Bethany Griffin *Sigh* Yet another love-hate relationship. I was dying to read Masque of Red Death from the moment I came across it on Goodreads. I’m a huge Edgar Allan Poe fan, and I was excited to read this YA adaptation of one of his grim stories.In that aspect, Masque of the Red Death did not disappoint. Despite my excitement to read the story, I really wasn’t expecting the author to pull of the desolate atmosphere I would expect out of a take on Poe. I was expecting it to be sugar-coated, and a lot more fluffy. But it wasn’t. I loved the world-building and the overall feeling I got from Griffin’s writing. It kept me glued to the pages. I would recommend it for that reason alone.There was, however, a love triangle. Which is something I knew going into the story, but I wanted to read Griffin’s take on The Masque of the Red Death too badly to pass it up, love triangle or not. So I read it anyway, and both of the guys have their moments that made me think “aww”, but they both also had their moments that should send a girl running in the other direction. Not that Araby is innocent and perfect herself. The truth is, all of these characters have faults that I personally find easily forgivable because of the world they are living in. These things they have seen and gone through would make anyone a little crazy. But is that enough to make me read the sequel? I don’t know yet. I guess I will have to see how much I care once the sequel shows its pretty face.I would recommend Masque of the Red Death if you’re a Poe fan, a dystopia/post-apocalypse fan, or if you’re just looking for something darker than the norm. I know most people aren’t so easily turned away by a love triangle, and if you’re one of those who still like them, definitely give Masque of the Red Death a shot. I don’t think you’ll regret it.