anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James *Can someone who is into BDSM ease my mind and tell me this is an inaccurate portrayal of the lifestyle? LOL***There IS cursing in this review. What can I say? This book pissed me off. A lot.There were a lot of things about Fifty Shades of Grey that bothered me, but let me preface my review by saying it wasn’t the erotica. It wasn’t the fact that there was BDSM. It was the characters, the writing (honestly there were sentences that were REPEATED throughout the story, and they didn’t make sense any of the times they were said), the story. It was all around bad, in my opinion.I’ll also go ahead and get what I liked out of the way. It was engrossing. I don’t know why, as I was disgusted for much of the book, but for whatever reason it DID have me entranced, so that’s something I suppose. And the emails were cute. That’s it.Christian has issues, and I personally didn’t find him sexy. He had his appeal for about 10% of the book, but then it was all downhill from there. He is controlling in AND out of the bedroom, and I am personally not the kind of person who needs to be told when I can sit my ass down. I have that handled, thank you. So no, he was not sexy to me. Ana was a victim of her own insecurities and cowardice. She will do anything to please Christian because she feels he is the greatest thing to ever grace the planet. More on that later. There was also her “subconscious” and her “inner goddess” that I wished on numerous occasions would just shut the fuck up. I finally used Kindle’s “search” feature to discover the fact that she refers to her “subconscious” 80 times, and her “inner goddess” 58 times. Literally. I have nothing against BDSM. What goes on behind closed doors between two consenting adults is none of my concern. If that’s what they like—hey, go for it! If it’s for fetish’s sake, I probably wouldn’t even mind reading about it. But I felt that this was a different thing entirely. Ana isn’t doing this because she likes it. She is doing it because she feels it’s the only way to keep Christian, but she doesn’t feel great afterwards. She starts to fear making him mad, because that will bring consequences later. If both parties are into this, I can see how it would be hot. Spice things up. But she isn’t into this, and in my opinion it borders on abuse, though he isn’t physically forceful. She is sacrificing her dignity for the sake of this man who could easily find a partner who actually enjoyed this kind of thing. Again, how is this sexy? But Christian never used anything to force her beyond power of persuasion, which is why I see her as her own victim. She could have walked away.To be honest, I probably wouldn’t have liked this book regardless, because I am not a fan of the fact that the author is making money off of fanfiction. I like fan-fic, but I think it has its place online—free. It’s for fun, for practice, and I think it’s wrong that there is so much monetary gain to be had here. I’m biased. It clouds my vision, admittedly. But I’ve been told by numerous people that it is NOTHING like Twilight, so people are overreacting. Okay. Let’s break this down, because I wholeheartedly disagree. Ana: clumsy, dull girl who has a penchant for British literature, and a serious lip biting habit. She works at some supply store, and the brother of the owner has a massive crush on her. (Brother rather than son, incidentally) One of her best friends is Jose, a shy guy who, guess what, also has a huge crush on her. She drives an old beat up car, which Christian eventually detests, but naturally, Ana won’t let him replace it. Until he does, because he does what he wants, right after graduation. Her mother is an rash woman who can’t function properly unless someone is looking after her. Her father may not be her real father, he may be a step-father and he may be dead, but he is basically Charlie. Once she meets and falls for Christian, nothing else matters.Christian: adopted by a powerful, wealthy family. Is loaded. Despite being so young, he talks like someone who has spent a long ass time on Earth. Stalker tendencies. Excels in pretty much everything, particularly playing the piano. Enhance Edwards personality traits a bit and strip him of his sparkles, and he is Christian. Are these similarities enough to claim plagiarism? Most likely, no. I sincerely doubt there are any lines directly pulled from Twilight and the story is vastly different. But I would think it would be obvious to anyone who read Twilight a time or two, these characters were pulled straight out of Meyer’s world. Is it okay to make millions off of someone else’s characters? Furthermore, it isn’t all that impressive. There is better romance and erotica to be found out there, and I have a very hard time believing anyone honestly believes this series’ popularity has nothing to do with its ties to Twilight. The thing I disliked most about this story is the complete lack of self-worth Ana has. Women are not inferior to men, and I don’t believe we should allow ourselves to be treated as such. We aren’t superior either. We’re equals, in my opinion, and it disgusted me to see a woman allow herself to be ran over in such a way, for the sake of a man’s pleasure, when she felt horrible about it later. I feel like I have to make that clear. I would not have had a problem with this if Ana shared the same fetish. And when you have to ask yourself Oh no, what have I done now? so many times, there is something wrong. If you consider moving away and staying gone so he can’t “reach” you, there is something wrong. I did not find this sexy, and even in the end, I am not appeased. Ryan Reynolds himself could play Christian and I still wouldn’t pay to see the movie.