anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) - Cynthia Hand When I first read Unearthly, I wasn’t blown away. My review wasn’t particularly gushing. But as time passed, and the story stuck with me, it became one of my favorites in the young adult paranormal genre, particularly where angels were concerned. It was beautifully written and every aspect was handled brilliantly. Having read Hallowed, I’m honestly starting to wonder if Unearthly is really the book I remembered, because the only thing I really enjoyed about this installment was the writing.The characters in Unearthly took center stage for me, but that fell apart in Hallowed. Clara, once sensible and level-headed, is now completely fickle and unreliable. She has no idea what she wants, and lies to Tucker’s face on more than one occasion. She’d probably lie to Christian too, if he couldn’t read her mind. (More on that later) I don’t believe what she has with Tucker is real, and the fact that she fell in real love (supposedly) despite her “fate” was one of the things I loved about this series. Hallowed undid all of that. It makes the entire first book and everything Clara had gone through seem completely pointless. As for Tucker, I don’t think we saw nearly enough of him. Christian is around a lot more, but he’s still that silent and mysterious character, and I still don’t care about him. The only thing that comes of his presence is piling on his perfection, which makes his character seem less and less realistic with each passing page. And the fact that he and Clara both just happen to be this rare type of angel is just annoying. I don’t dislike him, I just don’t care.I was happy to learn more about Clara’s Mom’s past, as well as Jeremy and his purpose. (Which was predictable, but nevertheless I was glad to finally see a smidge of focus on that) By this point, I found this stuff far more entertaining than anything Clara was going through with Tucker, Christian, or the Black Wings.The Twilight jabs. Oh, sigh. They were so entertaining. At first. But that starts to fall apart when your own story starts to resemble Twilight too much to take the jabs seriously. Christian can read minds, but of course it’s different when it comes to Clara. She’s oh so faithful to Tucker, but of course that wavers once Christian gets her alone and kisses her. She has to let him go because it would be better for him—safer—right before she takes off across the world. Although, props on Clara going to college despite leaving Tucker behind. Even though she didn’t want to at first because she didn’t want to leave Tucker behind. (Which was frustrating) But now of course Christian’s going with her, so who cares, right? It’s all irrelevant at this point. I’m not saying this book is anything like Twilight (because aside from those I listed, I don’t see any similarities), but the similarities that are there make those subtle jabs lose their charm. There is no doubt Hand has a way with words. The fact that I feel it’s necessary to rant about everything that bothered me shows how well the writing captivates me. Hallowed definitely impacted me emotionally. It was mostly disappointment and frustration (with a hint of sorrow), but it was still a powerful reaction. When I think about the story I still feel sick with disappointment. To be honest, I can’t wait until this series is over so that I can read whatever Hand writes next, because at this point I’m unsure of whether or not I’ll continue with this series. I know how I want it to end, and it seems as if there is no hope for that. Ultimately, I think Cynthia Hand is brilliant. Undoubtedly brilliant. However, I’m far too disappointed in the path the story has taken to enjoy it.