anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Juliet Immortal - Stacey Jay When I first read the blurb for Juliet Immortal, I knew I had to read it. I had to see this spin on Romeo and Juliet, mostly because I am in the minority with my opinion on R & J. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a great tragedy. Tragedy. But I am disturbed by how often it is referred to as a “timeless love story” or a “great American love story” or “the ultimate romance”, and even more so by the fact that their “love” is something that people in this world desire. Like suicide in the name of love is ever noble. So yes, I was dying to see how things were twisted in Juliet Immortal, and on that front, this book didn’t disappoint. Juliet was an interesting character, although I didn’t necessarily love her. She was a little too angsty for my taste, and spent a lot of time telling us about her misdirected hate. I preferred Romeo over all of the characters. He is so twisted and I loved getting inside his head when we got the chance. I found myself wishing—several times—that this story was from his point of view, so I will definitely be reading the sequel as it will be from his point of view. Although given his transformation, I probably won’t be as entertained. Insta-love is not something I am a fan of, and it definitely had an impact on how much I enjoyed this story. Between the writing and the take on the classic, I probably would have loved this book, if not for the insta-love. I didn’t really understand why Juliet and Ben fell for each other, and it’s difficult to buy into a love story if you don’t really see how the love is there at all. So it was a little rocky from time to time, especially when she and Ben were together, and professing their love to each other. I mean, I don’t actually recall a serious conversation between the two of them that didn’t include an “I love you” or some make-out action. Juliet obviously didn’t learn from her first mistake—Romeo.And another thing that made me dislike Juliet—I wasn’t a fan of how willing she was to try and convince Ben to throw his life away to run away with her. Most people only have one life, J. I wasn’t really a fan of the ending. To be honest, I think it tied things up a little too neatly, not to mention there are some small revelations that left me scratching my chin. It kind of made me wonder what the point in all of that was. Juliet can have a do-over? Alternate universes and all that? Really? So she wound up in another universe and Ben didn’t know her when he found her, but of course they fall in love at first sight, (and there must be some sort of reincarnation or resurrection that is never touched on, for Ben to have been the Ben) and Romeo had left her for another woman. Only, in another universe he really didn’t and he’s after redemption. And what happens to all of these other characters that just had their lives turned upside down, just for Juliet to be whisked away to another universe where she and Ben live happily ever after? What happens to the progress Juliet made with Ariel’s life? With Ariel and her mother? Pointless I tell you!To be honest, I was kind of wishing Romeo and Juliet would realize their first attempt at this love thing was ridiculous and they were completely foolish, but now that they had matured (ha!) maybe they could give it another—real—go. But I did not get my happy ending. Overall, Juliet Immortal was a good read. I breezed through it in a matter of hours, and I’m interested in seeing how Romeo’s story will pan out.