anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Tempest - Julie Cross If I included a star for the magnificent cover, it would be four stars. But...yeah no. I'm sick of being fooled by beautiful covers.Full review to come. Tempest was an enjoyable book, but unfortunately there were a few hang-ups that prevented me from enjoying it fully. But it was still decent.Tempest reminds me a lot of The Butterfly Effect, although there are some obvious differences. I think this story will be more enjoyable as a movie, because I think it would be easier to follow that way. Maybe I just wasn’t understanding it completely, but I really had a hard time keeping track of things, and everything just felt all over the place. Not to mention far-fetched, and dare I say, cheesy. Joining the CIA? Honestly? I found that other girl—Jenni, was it?—being a trainee extremely hard to believe (at her age and with a blatant lack of experience), and I wasn’t a fan of Jackson taking the same path. I liked that Jackson felt believable as a male character. He had thoughts that weren’t always grand, and it made his voice feel authentic. However, there was so much jumping around (obviously) that I didn’t feel all that connected to any of the characters. There were different versions of everyone, depending on what year Jackson was in and at what point these characters were at in their lives. It made it difficult to get to know any of them, so I just didn’t care about them. Holly specifically—she was supposed to be a main focus in the story, and I didn’t feel like I knew her at all. She was just…there. There are a lot of unanswered questions. And while I realize this is setting us up for the sequel, it was frustrating. There are a lot of things that Jackson doesn’t understand, some (what seemed like) foreshadowing that doesn’t amount to anything in this book, and a lot of “I can’t tell you’s”. After a while, I just stopped expecting answers. It ends with a cliffhanger that did not leave me excited for the sequel. It actually made me think, “Really? This setup again? Really?!” I’m letting you go because it’s what’s best for you. Until the next book when he probably decides he can’t live without her, and/or another girl comes into the picture, and/or he goes back to the original time line or whatever and another guy has come into Holly’s life. I’m sure it sounds like I hated this book, but I really didn’t. It was okay, and there was never a moment I even considered giving up on it. I will most likely read the sequel, but with much lower expectations. I think a lot of YA lovers will latch onto this series.