anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Legend - Marie Lu I love dystopian fiction. It’s quite possibly one of my favorite genres, if done well. I think Marie Lu pulled it off in Legend, and while it didn’t completely knock me off my feet, I definitely enjoyed it.One thing that sets Legend apart from the most recent dystopians I’ve read is the time period. I’m not exactly certain when it takes place, but it is far enough into the future that the US is mostly considered a myth, and holidays don’t seem to be acknowledged. (December 25th passes without a single reference to the holiday.) This is actually one of the things I liked most about the story. It wasn’t really a ‘post-United States’ world, as those days had come and gone. The characters are believable. Both Day and June are written well enough that it feels authentic, and I liked them both. The only thing I wish had been different with them is their ages. They are incredibly intelligent, which made them feel older than they are, but I expected a stronger romance out of the story. I don’t want a strong romance out of fifteen years old, though….so….older. Lol.There were certain aspects of the story that I found predictable, and I kept wondering why June—being as intelligent as she is—hadn’t been able to figure it out. While I saw these things coming, the why had me in the dark and unfortunately those questions weren’t really answered. I hope to hear some details on the sequel soon.Most of my thoughts while reading Legend were completely positive, although the violence turned my stomach from time to time. That’s another thing I’m only a fan of if I feel it’s done right—violence. When adults are physically abusive to children—as real as it may (unfortunately) be—it turns me off. There’s really no way around that, except to keep reading.I will of course be looking forward to the movie, although it seems kind of insane to already be in the works when the world has yet to read the book. That said, I have no doubts that Legend will be a hit.