anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Deadline - Mira Grant I’m going to try very, very hard to keep this review spoiler free for both Deadline, and the first in the series, Feed.I’m a huge fan of zombies if I feel they’re done justice, and while Mira Grant definitely does them justice, I think this series would be equally outstanding if it had been about an entirely different breed of creatures. The way Mira Grant writes and the attention to detail is absolutely stunning, if grim. In Feed, I found the wordiness to be a bit too much, and while Deadline is actually longer, I never had this issue. There was not a single passage that I even had the slightest urge to skim. I devoured every single thought that went through Shaun’s head, every word out of every other character’s mouth, every horrible reality Shaun is fed.Feed made me cry. I don’t cry easily. I knew Deadline would most likely take an emotional toll on me, but it was so much more intense than I had anticipated. Deadline turned my stomach inside out and there was a moment when I had to actually close the book and walk away. I’ve had books make me emotional in the past, but I don’t recall ever needing to actually stop to breathe. Deadline did that to me.The one thing I do not understand is how this series is considered YA. The characters are relatively young, but aside from that, there isn't a single aspect that feels YA to me. By no means am I complaining, but I think this series is more suitable for young adults than actually intended for young adults.There isn’t a lot I can say without spoiling either Deadline or Feed, but I can say that this series is bloody brilliant, and if I wasn’t already bowing to Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire, I’d be groveling now. Deadline obliterated my expectations, and I can’t even begin to tell you how high they already were.