anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Divergent  - Veronica Roth First thoughts: Oh man. I think I'll refrain from reviewing this until I can form thoughts other than OMGOMGOMGSOGOOD.And now a real review: Oh my goodness.I somehow managed to sleep on Divergent. The first time I ever paid any attention to it was in Wal-Mart, when I noticed it was on sale there and vaguely remembered seeing the cover around the blogosphere. I remembered it being a debut, and couldn’t help but smile at the fact that another debut author managed to get in Wal-Mart. (Weird? Maybe. I get giddy for the author when their books are on sale in Wal-Mart. Seems like a milestone!) Anyway, when I saw it there, I decided to go read some reviews. And of course, the vast majority of them are positive, so my brain automatically jumped to “This will be too hyped up and I’ll expect so much and I won’t enjoy it because it won’t live up to that expectation and oheffit I won’t even read it.” But of course curiosity won, and I found myself wanting to read it. And then a friend whose opinion I trust said I should read it. Actually she demanded I read it. So I did.This book had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning. I fell in love with the characters, flaws and all. There is never a dull moment, not in one of the 487 pages. No words are wasted, every scene serves a purpose. It's brilliantly paced. I finished the book in a day, and while that used to be something I did regularly, it has been a long time since I’ve read a nearly 500 page book in a day. A. Long. Time.I don’t even know what to say about it! I loved it so much and I’m absolutely speechless. Hours later, half a different book later, and all I can think about is Divergent. I cannot think of a single thing to complain about. Not one thing.Think of all those words. Breathtaking, exquisite, fantastic, enthralling, amazing, thrilling, heartbreaking, intense, WOW. Take your pick, to Divergent, they all apply.