anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Every Little Thing in the World - Nina de Gramont Actual rating: 3.5/5I’m not sure what to make of Every Little Thing in the World. I’m so confused, but I’ll try to put my thoughts into words the best I can.I was apprehensive about reading this novel once I realized it was about teen pregnancy. There’s just something about these stories that turn me off, and I don’t know why. I definitely think it’s something that needs to be addressed. Maybe it’s the fact that I was a teen mom? And since I’ve lived it, I don’t necessarily feel the urge to read about it? The characterization in this story and the atmosphere seemed spot on. I found myself enjoying their journey, becoming engrossed in their surroundings. The cast of characters were a lot of fun.This novel made me think. I have always considered myself pro-choice (though I would never even consider an abortion myself) but something about the way the subject was handled in this story disgusted me at times. Abortion was discussed and considered in such a non-chalant way that I was turned off by it, and in the end I was momentarily questioning my own beliefs. Something that annoys me is when the back of the book is responsible for letting me in one details. For example, had the back of the book not said so, I never would have thought of Sydney as a “good kid”. Maybe she was before she began making such poor decisions, but we didn’t get to see that side of her, so to me, it’s as if it doesn’t really exist. In my mind, she’s a girl who doesn’t consider her actions beforehand, which leads to reckless drinking and unprotected sex.I loved the exploration of the teen mind during a time like this, and the relationships and behaviors of those around her. I felt that it was authentic and enjoyable for the majority of the book. It has a pretty cover that doesn’t do the depth of the story justice. As you can see, I’m conflicted. It left me in a swirl of positive and negative emotions, so I’d recommend everyone to give a shot to find out for themselves.