anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand I'll start with the first thing we all I notice about a book. That gorgeous cover. It's absolutely stunning, as are many YA paranormal releases this year, and last year. I'm developing an issue with that. The problem is, I need to stop judging a book by its cover, but that's a difficult thing to get over. This cover, along with many others, have given me the impression that the books would be dark, poetic even. While this was a great one (as were the others) it just isn't what I expect going in.Anyway. I love that Unearthly opened with Clara knowing she was part angel. It isn't something we have to wait for her to discover, and then deal with her reaction before we can get to the gist of the story. She knows from the first page, and that's uncommon. Loved it.The characters stood out to me above all. The story, her purpose, none of that stood out to me the way the characters did. From the first time we meet Tucker Avery, I was hooked on him. I kept asking myself, "how does she not see the hottie cowboy right in front of her?" (okay so maybe I don't normally find the cowboy thing attractive. Perhaps I make exceptions for fiction.) I loved her friends and brother and mother as well. Even Christian, whom I suspected would give me a reason to detest him at some point down the line. But he didn't. There's really no definitive love triangle in this book. There's a shadow of one, but not really. I liked that because I am so sick of love triangles. For Clara, it was never "I have feelings for them both but who do I love more?" It was more true love vs her angelic predetermination.In the end, Clara is forced to make a decision. A very, very difficult one, but I do believe she made the right one. Regardless of what the outcome would have been, I think she made the right choice. I was a little annoyed by the ending. The whole cliffhanger thing is getting old. Unearthly is no doubt one of those, but it wasn't really one that leaves me dying for the next book. It was just...okay. (Tucker leaves me dying for the next book, for the record.) The ending aside, I loved Tucker Unearthly. I'll definitely be anticipating the next installment.