anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Hearts At Stake (The Drake Chronicles #1) - Alyxandra Harvey This was a cute story, though at times the similarities to Twilight were a bit much. I understand it's about vampires so of course there will be some similarities. However, there was a vampire Edward, Victoria, the main girl is squeamish at the sight of blood, there's a treaty, the person on the other side of the treaty's last name is Black, the treaty says they can't eat humans, so the family feeds on only animals unless they're too weak and human blood is a must. Just to name a few. There are a lot of huge differences though. (If you're thinking "oh geez thanks", you can rest assured that I really wasn't giving a thing away by telling you that.)I loved the relationship between Lucy and Nicholas, though I still think it was lacking some heat. There was a lot going on in this book so I don't feel like I ever really felt that relationship wrap up. As for Solange and Keiran, I didn't see much of a relationship to begin with. There were a few sparks, but other than that, their relationship didn't register on the romance scale for me. I think calling this a dual romance is an overstatement.The characters were very well written. It bounces back and forth between Solange and Lucy's point of view, and I was happy to see that each character had her own voice. Solange is laid back and caring, wild Lucy's snarky and quite amusing.The plot was well written--despite some things that screamed Twilight. The differences did make it feel like it was it's own story.Overall, I enjoyed this quick read. It held my attention, I didn't get bored, but the ending didn't pack enough punch to push it to the fifth star for me. I'd recommend it for someone looking for a fast, fun read.