anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer *Possible mild spoilers*I'm glad I didn't go into this one too psyched. As you may remember from my latest IMM, I wasn't too excited to read this. Mostly because I didn't care about Bree as a character. She's there in Eclipse for one scene, and we all know how that ends for her. So ultimately, we knew how this one would end too. Not much to look forward too....For starters, Bree felt a little too much like Bella. Actually, a lot too much like Bella. I honestly didn't feel like she was a different character. Especially considering she also didn't act like a typical newborn vamp. She had extra self-control too, but why? I thought the entire point of this book was so that we could see it from the other side? Shouldn't we have experienced Bree as a ravenous newborn, unable to control her urges?There was a very very small romance. I can't really stress how small it was any other way than saying, it was nearly non-existent. Still yet, the friendship there was probably the best part of the entire book.Meyer writes an introduction, that tells us why she wrote this book. She couldn't forget about Bree (or Diego, or Fred) and felt the need to write this side of the story. She wanted all of us to think about Bree as a character, rather than just another of Victoria's pawns. She was successful, to an extent.The newborn vampires didn't have the greatest background, as they were all troubled kids to begin with. That kind of takes away any sympathy I may have had for Bree having her human life taken from her.However, I will say that in reading Eclipse, I did feel a pang of sympathy for her. They described such a young girl, who clearly didn't want to be a part of the battle, and ultimately she's shown no mercy. How could you not feel a bit sorry for her? The thing is, there's a certain event in this book (I won't say what, but I believe it was meant to be the climax...eh) that really makes me think Bree's demise was probably best for her. Otherwise, she may have become Victoria someday.So, my final thoughts. If there had been any unanswered questions about this vampire world, this book failed to deliver any answers. I only care about Bree a slight amount, so not much improvement there. I walked away feeling as though her death was for the best. I'll miss both Diego and Fred, but I don't feel they're really part of the Twilight world. I kind of feel like I just wasted two and half hours of my life for no reason at all.Please, please STOP! Leave the Twilight Saga at what it is(was)! The first four books are great, no need to keep adding to that. (Unless it's Midnight Sun. Who cares about Bree?! I think all of us are in agreement on the fact that we'd much rather have Midnight Sun!) Clearly, someone's trying to bank on the success, and it's not going so well. (though from their point of view, it's probably going great.) Leave. It. Alone. Before everyone feels like I do, like they're just DONE with it all.