anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Evernight - Claudia Gray Evernight started out kind of slow for me. This could be due in part to the fact that I knew going in, that it was about vampires. (I'm kind of sick of vampires.) However, after a few chapters, it slowly pulled me in.This book had a few surprises. I won't say what they are, but I will say that one of them bothered me. A lot. When we first discovered this twist, I thought, "Hmm, nice plot twist". Then we slowly discover the fact that Bianca knew all along. This really wasn't a surprise to her, so it's shock value was lost in me at that point. The shock turned into annoyance. Evernight is written in first person, and I personally felt like I should have known everything Bianca knew. Or at least had clues to what she knew. I like being taken by surprise, and I like for a book to keep me guessing. But I don't like it when a character acts oblivious to what is going on around them, leaving you oblivious, only to find out they knew all along. They knew EVERYTHING, all along...? No. Third person, that works sometimes. First person? It doesn't. In my opinion.That problem aside, I enjoyed the novel. I did find myself thinking, "What is wrong with you, girl?!" quite frequently, but I still liked her character. I liked Lucas, but honestly...I kind of prefer Balthazar (GASP!) The nice guy wins my heart in this one. Lucas is sweet, but he packs too much baggage. Perhaps the sequels will change my mind?Unfortunately, I didn't really get a unique feeling from this novel. I didn't feel as though there was anything to set it apart from other vampire novels. However, both her mom and dad are in the story, and very much in love. This is a rarity in young adult novels, both contemporary and paranormal. Thumbs up on that note.All in all, I enjoyed Evernight. It kept my attention, and I'm definitely anxious to see where the next installment in the series takes us.