anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater The cover is gorgeous. When I first saw the book on the "Best Book Cover" lists, I was baffled. I thought it was ugly. I didn't understand how anyone thought it was pretty. Then I bought it, and I totally get it. The blue is soft, and shimmery. In my hands, I couldn't get over how beautiful it was.I loved this book from the beginning. Maggie Stiefvater's writing is phenomenal. I'd be willing to bet she writes poetry aside from novels. Or at least really, really enjoys reading poetry. Her writing had almost a poetic feel to it. (And not just Sam's poetry moments. All of it.)Sam and Grace's relationship is beautiful. They're complete opposites, and yet they seem perfect for each other. Sam is a deep little emo-ish boy. He made me smile. Grace was resilient, responsible, level-headed, and a little stubborn, but all of these things were needed in their relationship.I liked all of the other characters. Isabel was amusing, despite the fact that she was a spoiled brat. I was a bit annoyed with her parents. How could you be so absent minded? As I ask this, I know it's completely possible, because of witnessed it myself. Still yet, how?! How do people pay such little attention to their children? Again, I believe it to be possible because I may have experienced it for a brief time in my life. Even having experienced it, I just don't understand how people can do it.I loved the concept of the wolves. Their shifting occurred depending upon the temperature, and I believe these are the first wolves I've seen that shifted this way. It felt original.Stiefvater does an amazing job of creating a cold atmosphere. The way she writes, and describes thing, accomplishes this, but add a pale blueish font to the mixture, and you're freezing! The ending was abrupt, and left me wanting more more more. I should've bought Linger while I was there, because now I have to wait. :/