anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The Best and Hardest Thing - Pat Brisson I'm certain anyone who actually reads the title, would be able to figure out what decision Molly makes in the end. However, just in case, I won't say what she decides.Pat Brisson does a wonderful job of hooking you in, straight from the beginning. The very first poem walks you through the event that led Molly to the changes she decides to make. I had trouble putting it down after that point.One thing that I found annoying was, the change seemed too quick, and worked a little too well. I realize less is more with verse novels, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't shake the feeling that it was a bit far-fetched.Nevertheless, young girls are duped into these flings for their first time, and up pregnant quite often in our society. Though, I wouldn't really say Molly was "duped". She was naive and had no idea what she was getting herself into, but she intentionally got herself into that mess.Molly learns a whole lot from that mistake. She handles the situation quite maturely, and I found myself applauding her (only in my head, of course). It's almost as if there was an off-switch on her immaturity, and those double pink lines flipped it.As I was reading it, I had initially intended to rate it four stars. That was until I got to the end, when Molly makes her final decision, and I actually came to tears. As she describes the baby, and the empty feeling in her stomach immediately after giving birth, I actually felt something. I enjoy poetry, always have, but I've never actually been moved by it, and this time I was. I think that's five star worthy, don't you?