anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Wildefire

Wildefire - Karsten Knight I had been so excited to read Wildefire, that I nearly had a heart attack when I saw it pop up on Galley Grab. I was so excited. And then I found out someone I have always agreed with on books couldn’t connect with it, and I was nervous. I am extremely pleased to say that for the first time since I’ve known her, we disagree on a book. And I’m actually glad because I really wanted to like Wildefire.The characters were fantastic. Each of them were unique and well written. I loved Ash’s wit, and even liked Eve. When I wasn’t wishing someone would kill her already, that is. To me, the characters are what sets this novel apart from other YA novels that involve mythological gods and goddesses. I’ve been sick of the YA supernatural creatures that just acted like hormonal teenagers for a long time now. And though they definitely had their moments that were driven purely by hormones, I had a complete sense of their true nature, which is one of the reasons I loved Eve. I loved that we’re introduced to gods and goddesses from different cultures. Not just Greek, not just Norse, but Polynesian and Zulu and so on. It definitely wasn’t your run of the mill take on mythology. This also added diversity that we don't typically see in YA.I have two issues with the novel. The first being Jackie, because I found her to be a pointless character. In the beginning I struggled with telling her and Lily apart, and I think the story would have been fine without her. My other issue is the ending. It makes me want to scream. Obviously I can’t say anything because it would be a spoiler, but *sadface* and WHY KARSTEN?! WHYYYY?