anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Partials

Partials - First of all, I love everything about this cover. It’s dark and gorgeous, and depicts the story well. “The only hope for humanity isn’t human” is quite possibly the best tagline, ever.By this point it’s probably starting to look like you could throw any old dystopian and/or post-apocalyptic book at me, and it would stick. But really—I don’t love them all, despite the amount of gushing I’ve done lately. Some of the most popular in the genre(s) left me severely disappointed. But I am a sucker for a dystopian/post-apocalyptic world that I feel is pulled off nicely. I am a sucker for intricate plots. There is something about it that leaves me completely engrossed, and I seriously doubt I will ever tire of the genre.Partials is no exception, despite the fact that there isn’t really a romance, at least not in the sense that we’re used to seeing. Generally, I need at least a splash of fresh romance to enjoy a book, with a few exceptions (namely, Feed). Perhaps the sci-fi element is the key. Whatever the reason, I could not get enough of this book. Kira was a great character. She is tough and determined, but still makes mistakes. She’s resilient but also believably flawed, and I couldn’t help but admire her. This girl stops at nothing to reach the end goal. No amount of self-pity or perfectly engineered abs will distract her from doing what she needs to do. Marcus, Samm, Jayden, Xochi, Madison—all well fleshed out and likeable secondary characters. Bravo, Wells, bravo.One thing I loved in particular was the way the virus was handled. In my experience with deadly viruses in books, we aren’t given a lot of detail. The virus is thrown at us, and we’re just expected to believe that it is plausible. In Partials, Kira is in charge of researching this virus for a time, and this gives us direct access to RM’s details. Wells either knows his stuff, or did his research. Either way, it definitely works in Partials’ favor.Overall, Partials met and then exceeded my expectations. There is never a dull moment. It is a brilliantly crafted page-turner, and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t have an aversion to sci-fi.