anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

Unraveling

Unraveling - Unraveling was not at all what I was expecting. To be honest, I have no idea what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that. The truth is, the cover didn’t catch my eye. I love the concept but the colors are so washy, I didn’t give it a second glance. And another save the world book? Blah. Another YA character turning into Nancy Drew? Blah. I just didn’t expect much. Had Dee not insisted I read it, I probably wouldn’t have even bothered.And I’m glad she insisted. Unraveling was so good. Kick ass main character? Check. Realistic family dynamics? Check. Friendship worth the pages it takes up (and with a boy who is actually JUST a friend!)? Check. Mystery? Check. Action? Check. This book had everything I look for in a novel. I honestly can’t think of a single thing to complain about. I don’t think there’s much I can say about the plot without including spoilers, but I will say I found it refreshing.One thing in particular that I loved about Unraveling was the fact that it feels like a contemporary novel. It definitely has sci-fi aspects and they are key to the story, but it isn’t overly technical. I think the sci-fi aspect is balanced perfectly with the romance and Janelle’s home life, and I simply could not get enough of it. I would highly recommend Unraveling, and I am definitely anticipating the sequel!