anthrbookjunkie

anthrbookjunkie

The One That I Want

The One That I Want - Jennifer Echols The One That I Want solidified Jennifer Echols’ position on my auto-buy list.I always have love-hate relationships with Echols’ books. I absolutely love the stories she creates, but the characters always make me so angry. It’s so frustrating, but it’s also a blessing because it is part of what gives them so much charm. The characters are raw and so believable, even if I am not their biggest fan, I cannot stop reading about them.In the case of The One That I Want, it was Gemma’s “best” friend Addison that made me cringe. That girl does not have one redeeming quality (that we get to see), but it’s so well done that I actually wanted to read the scenes that involved her. She infuriated me but I wanted to see what she was going to say next. Gemma put up with far too much from her, and I was glad to see her finally do something about it. But she also had her issues, and her constant need to point out how bad a friend Addison was annoyed me, particularly because I could definitely see that without Gemma going through it in her head, repeatedly. Max is adorable, and so different from the characters I’m used to. Let’s be honest, we are supposed to fall in love with the love interest, and in most cases they are perfect because we can’t help but fall in love with perfection. Same basic formula over and over again, with some substitutions here and there. That is not the case with Max. He says what’s on his mind, and sometimes it isn’t pleasant, but it’s honest. But he also has a sweet side.On the surface, The One That I Want is a cute love story that I couldn’t get enough of. Underneath that, it tackles rocky relationships and the effects of poor communication between friends, crushes, and even parents and their children—without seeming preachy. Definitely worth a read.